Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vegan Omelette with Spinach and Green Chile


When I first became vegan, I concocted a vegan omelette recipe which -- while delicious -- was far too time-consuming to make on a regular basis; the omelette had to be first baked and then pan-fried. For breakfast today, I made my first attempt at a new and easier recipe.

While extremely tasty, the texture wasn't exactly right; it is still definitely a work-in-progress. I loved omelettes before my vegan transition, so I am very picky about their vegan variants. If it isn't exactly right, I'm not interested.

This omelette was stuffed with sauteed spinach from the CSA and, at P's suggestion, smothered with green chile. Mmmm.


My favorite vegan omelette can be found at The Lone Wolf in Amherst, MA. Theirs is a fluffy, delicate wonder made from rice flour and coconut milk. My version is primarily made of chickpea flour, but it has the same kind of fluffiness as the Lone Wolf's omelette. While the Lone Wolf omelette has a hint of sweetness, the omelette I made this morning was purely savory. Black salt (kala namak) is a key ingredient in my omelette . . . and in my tofu scrambles and all of my other vegan egg dishes. When you smell black salt, you instantly understand why that is; the salt has an extremely sulfurous smell, and it gives a distinctly eggy flavor to everything it touches.


(Update: vegan omelette, take two!)

No comments:

Post a Comment