Saturday, June 19, 2010

Vegan Chorizo with Greens

For lunch today, I had my first ever reuben, courtesy of my bff Sarah. She made Vegan Dad's corned beef, we made vegan Thousand Island dressing, and bought some sauerkraut from the farmer's market. In general, I don't like salad dressing, I don't like swiss cheese, I don't like rye bread, and I don't like sauerkraut . . . but this sandwich was really, really good. P calls this the gin-and-tonic effect; gin and tonic are both pretty awful on their own . . . but magically, together, they form a delicious cocktail.

Anyway, I don't have a picture of this glorious masterpiece. It was exquisite looking, especially with the nice salad on the side made from lettuce, arugala, tomatoes, and scallions Sarah got from the farmers' market. Oh well. Instead, I have a picture of our rather unphotogenic dinner: vegan chorizo with kale and beet greens.

Just because something tastes good doesn't mean it looks pretty in a photo, as tonight's dinner will attest. I made a variant on the chorizo sausages from Vegan Brunch -- making them extra spicy! -- and sauteed the greens with two of the sausages. The greens and sausage mix were served over Spanish rice made with brown rice.


Something went wrong with the sausages while they were steaming, though, and they ended up much softer than they normally do. As a result, it was more the crumbly style of chorizo rather than the slicey kind. It still mixed up well with the greens though! P thought the sausages might've been a little too spicy; I liked them how they were, but I'll probably tone down the spice the next time I make them. There are still two more of these extra spicy, crumbly sausages to use up. I'll probably make some whole wheat pasta with kale and the other two sausages later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment