Friday, August 5, 2011

Double Stuffed Peppers

Last week, I got three giant bell peppers from the farmers' market; when P brought home our CSA vegetables, he informed me that there were three tiny bell peppers in our share.  Instantly, an idea hit me -- I double stuffed peppers.  I was going to stick those cute tiny peppers inside the giant peppers like Russian nesting dolls.

I didn't have a chance to make the double stuffed peppers (or, as P likes to call them, stuffed pepper stuffed peppers) until tonight at my dad's house, but I have been thinking about them all week.  Let me tell you, it was worth the wait.


The big peppers were stuffed with a mixture of diced jalepeno, soyrizo, brown rice, and spices.  The little peppers were inspired by jalapeno poppers, since they were jalapeno-sized bell peppers; they were filled with a combination of vegan cream cheese and vegan pepper jack, with a little surprise at the bottom -- diced jalapenos!  The mixture in the big peppers was quite spicy, so the cheese in the little peppers was there to cool things off -- which it did, along with adding a rich creaminess to the whole dish.

Once both mixtures were made, I filled the three big peppers with the soyrizo mixture -- pressing the mixture to the sides and bottom to leave a space for the wee peppers.  The remaining space was still a bit big for the little peppers, so I added some salsa into the holes before sliding the little guys in there.  The double stuffed peppers were then baked at 350° for 30 minutes.

While they baked, I got the side dishes ready -- refried beans and a lovely salad -- and made a lime vinaigrette for the salad.  The salad was dressed with a bit of salsa and the lime vinaigrette; the spiciness of the salsa worked really well with the acidity and sweetness of the lime vinaigrette, resulting in a super-delicious salad to go with the super-delicious stuffed-pepper-stuffed-peppers.

The only downfall of this recipe was that the peppers were SO stuffed!  One complete pepper, plus the salad, plus the beans, was more than any of us could manage to eat!  Which means that the downfall is really also a secret bonus, since we all have another pepper-half to eat tomorrow for lunch!  Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment